1 – Reopening Plan
With the decision to reopen made, a detailed plan must be in place to account for the current situation. Because of the changes COVID-19 has brought about, it is important to not only think about reopening your business, but how to reimagine your business. Begin by reviewing the questions below and then the topic-specific resources.
- Is attempting to reopen without any changes possible? If not, what will need to change?
- Have you familiarized yourself with health/governmental COVID reopening regulations? Do you have well-articulated protocols to keep your staff and customers safe? Learn more here
- Have you developed your reopening plan that reflects the current situation? Will you need to reopen in phases – ramping up staffing, inventory, etc.? Have you developed a timeline?
- Are your inventory, supplies, and equipment adequate? Do you have a sufficient, resilient supply chain in place to operate? Do you need to cancel/postpone current orders or delay purchasing new supply/inventory? Can you get better terms on previous/new orders?
- Will you be able to provide adequate staffing when you reopen? Will they be properly trained on current safety and health requirements?
- If other businesses in your area have closed, have you determined how that may impact you?
- Given the change in market conditions, does your business still need a physical location? Do you have an online presence in addition to a physical location?
- Is the size of your facility too large or small given the future potential of the business? What changed will you have to make to your physical location in order to open?
- Reopening Guidelines from the Virginia Governor’s Office: Physical Distancing, Cleaning, and Workplace Safety Best Practices
- CDC – Reopening Decision Tree
- CDC – Reopening Guidance for Cleaning and Disinfecting
Reopening best practices: