International Business Development Program
If you are not already an SBDC client you will need to go to VirginiaSBDC.org/locations to sign up for counseling with your local office. Once you have signed up, please send an email to Aaron Miller at email@example.com
George Mason University is recognized as a Carnegie Tier I research university, a designation reserved for premier institutions. Established Virginia companies looking to expand globally can tap into the diverse array of human capital at the university by participating in the International Market Assessment Program.
International Market Assessment Program
Virginia based companies that qualify for the program receive the following services:
- Up to 20 hours of research to identify suitable export markets or investigate and assess self-identified markets.
- A deliverable providing a snapshot of global market opportunities, next steps and recommendations.
- Full consideration for in-depth research through the Virginia International Trade Alliance.
To get started, please fill out the application.
The Virginia SBDC international trade team provides business leaders with the resources and confidential advice to help your company export. Our counseling services are built around four domains of knowledge essential for any business expanding overseas.
From time to time the Virginia SBDC and our partners put on training programs around Virginia and Washington D.C. on pertinent topics to help you grow your international business. Our first training program open to the public will be our four-part workshop series for the Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP).
Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP) Workshop
Our CGBP Workshop prepares you to sit for the NASBITE Certified Global Business Professional (CGBP) exam which certifies that a candidate is competent in Global Business Management, Global Marketing, Supply Chain Management, and Trade Finance.
You will learn to:
- Evaluate global market opportunities and identify foreign buyers.
- Develop indirect and direct foreign market entry strategies for your firm.
- Determine your international product and pricing strategies.
Networking & Updates
In addition to our counseling, research, and training, we occasionally host and partner for networking events and other relevant industry events. If you want to be included, be sure to sign up for our bi-monthly newsletter here. We will also send occasional emails promoting relevant international trade programs.
There are many available resources online to help you get started or grow your export sales. Take some time to look through the links provided below on various topics of exporting.
The U.S. Commercial Service, part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, has published the following information for exporters of all levels.
- How to Export
- Exporter Assessments
- Destination Markets
- Country Commercial Guides
- Top Markets by Industry
- The Virginia Economic Development Partnership Resource Library, click here.
- To learn more about export financing through EX-IM Bank, click here.
Aaron Miller is the international trade manager for the Commonwealth at the Virginia Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) Network. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-277-7715. The Virginia SBDC Network is a partnership between the U.S. Small Business Administration and George Mason University-Mason Enterprise Center.